Hail And Wind Damage – After a Storm Hits
Lately, we seem to be feeling Mother Nature’s wrath more frequently and strongly. Rain, hail, fierce winds and even wildfires have caused major roof damage in many communities across Alberta. As a homeowner, here’s what to do if your home has been damaged in a storm. After a storm hits and you’ve looked after the important things first, such as your family’s safety, it’s time to inspect your roof.
- From ground level, do a visual inspection. Look for shingles that may have blown off, exposing the wood of the roof deck below.
- Check your yard, too, for blown-off shingles that you may not see when looking at the roof itself.
- Ensure that no siding, soffit, fascia or roof structures have been torn or damaged.
- Check that the eavestroughing has not been damaged and that downpipes remain firmly attached.
- If it’s safe to do so, climb up to the roof level and complete your inspection.
- Leaks and water stains inside your home are a sure indication of roof damage.
- Take detailed notes of anything you notice that doesn’t seem right.
- Call a reputable professional exteriors contractor to come and inspect for damage you may have missed and arrange for any necessary repairs to be made as soon as possible.
- Have a reputable, professional Edmonton roofing contractor come take a look as soon as possible.
- Call your insurance agent to report the damage and file a claim.
After an insurance adjuster determines the extent of the damage, your roof may be repaired or replaced. The roofing company will bill your insurance company if the claim is covered.